среда, 29 февраля 2012 г.

Fed: The Boer War - Australia's forgotten conflict


AAP General News (Australia)
04-17-2008
Fed: The Boer War - Australia's forgotten conflict

By Katie Bradford

MELBOURNE, April 17 AAP - It was fought as the nation was forged, but the Boer War
is now known as Australia's "Forgotten War".

From 1899 to 1902 about 23,000 Australians fought in South Africa, about half as part
of British, New Zealand or South African contingents.

In 1901 Australia celebrated federation, making the Boer War the first major campaign
in which Australians were involved.

It is believed about 600 diggers died during the conflict - half from disease and half
from battle - and six heroes received the Victoria Cross, while 35,000 horses were sent
from Australia.

Yet, while all conflicts in which Australians fought are recognised during Anzac Day
commemorations, there has been one notable exception for the last three decades - the
Boer War.

But campaigners have now taken steps to ensure the war is no longer forgotten.

A National Boer War Committee has been established to have a memorial built on Anzac
Parade in Canberra.

And the RSL has approved a move by its Victorian branch to have a Boer War contingent
march in this year's Anzac Day parades.

Victorian spokesman Bill Woolmore said it's the first time in 30 years a Boer War delegation
will be included in the parades.

"This war is such an important part of our history and we want to make sure people
are aware of that," he told AAP.

Mr Woolmore, a Boer War historian who has written two books on the subject, said all
descendants of Boer War veterans are welcome to take part in the parade.

"Obviously, those who fought in the war are no longer with us," he said.

National committee chairman, John Haynes, believes no memorial was developed initially
because in the early 1900s Canberra hadn't properly formed as a capital.

"It wasn't until after World War I that Anzac Parade came about, and that was originally
built as a memorial to the two world wars.

"I think that it's just slipped through the cracks and nobody's bothered to do anything
about it until now."

A retired colonel who fought in Vietnam, Mr Haynes is angry about the situation.

"There's no Boer War memorial in Canberra, there is for every other war, but not for
the one we were fighting when we became a nation in January 1901," he said. "Some of our
soldiers went to the war as colonists and came back Australians."

A site has been approved for the memorial on Anzac Parade, and will be formally dedicated in May.

The monument will feature a mounted soldier in Boer War gear, with the exact design
to be decided by an international competition.

But the group is struggling for funding.

They are asking for donations from the public, business and the government.

About $60,000 has been raised so far, but Mr Haynes says a lot more is needed.

So far, Mr Haynes says the government has ignored calls for help.

"I think that's a shame, it's part of our heritage, part of our history and how we
got to be who we are."

He said if the government doesn't help out, it will be a "bloody disgrace".

"This is for the people of Australia, we aren't doing this for any other reason."

RSL national president Bill Crews supports the attempts to revive memories of the Boer
War in the minds of Australians.

He described it as a "significant engagement", but one which he thinks has been largely
forgotten, because it was the separate colonies who sent troops, not the nation.

"New South Wales led the charge and were followed by the other colonies," he said.

"People also forget the NSW colony sent troops to the Maori Wars (in New Zealand) in
the 1880s, so it's not the only pre-federation conflict that's forgotten about.

"What's reinforced our forgetfulness is we see the Anzac landing at Gallipoli as the
start of our military history because that's the first time we went overseas as a nation.

"We lose sight of what may have happened before then."

He believes a national memorial is a good idea, but admits it's hard to get government funding.

"Governments of all persuasions have been reluctant to provide anything more than a
modest contribution to memorial projects."

He said very few memorials are initiated or funded by governments, they will give start-up
funding but it's up to the proponents after that.

Federal Veterans Affairs Minister Alan Griffin said all memorial proposals must have
support from the community and involve a substantial level of fundraising.

"If the Boer War Committee can show that they are viable, that they have realistic
targets and are capable of fundraising then the government is prepared to talk to them
about what assistance we can possibly give them."

Mr Griffin said this is the usual process for all memorial proposals.

AAP kb/gfr/pmu/jt/mn

KEYWORD: ANZAC BOER (AAP NEWSFEATURE)

2008 AAP Information Services Pty Limited (AAP) or its Licensors.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий